spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Thursday, October 29, 2009

BTT ~Oct. 29th

btt button

Suggested by Jennysbooks:

Something I’ve been thinking about lately: “What words/phrases in a blurb make a book irresistible? What words/phrases will make you put the book back down immediately?”

I don't like reading alot of curse words or slang, foul language, turns me off pretty quick. I generally will give the author three strikes. If I really can't take it anymore the book is discarded never to be picked up. If the author has drawn me in then I live through it; however, I'll write in my post that I didn't appreciate some language. I don't use bad language and it grates on me when others do. You can talk and carry on a conversation without using bad language.



books

4 comments:

Missy B. said...

I'm with you....I can't take a lot of bad language either - or sex. I just don't enjoy those types of books. What I do enjoy are memoirs, southern fiction and coming of age novels.

I love your blog, by the way....very very cute!

Anonymous said...

I can understand being put off by bad language but isn't that limiting if it is simply an expression of real life?

Shawntele said...

Yes, I always think, "Couldn't you get your point across without cussing?!!?" That being said, I try to not judge a persons word choice...many years ago my mouth did not speak the most uplifting things, thank God I have been delivered of that! Now if we are talking cuss this, cuss that, over and over again, then it is something I would choose to not continue reading, but I can handle the occasional flip. :)

apple blossom said...

As I mentioned, I can read some words to a certain extent, but it has to be really sparse. I draw the line when they use my Lord and Saviors name though. Christian books should have Christian language as far as I'm concerned. There are other ways to say things besides cursing all. I'm a Christian and believe what I put in my mind comes out so it needs to honor my Lord. As far as limiting, maybe, maybe not. I have more books in my possessions they I'll be able to read in my lifetime I think. Even if I read 1 book a week. Think I'm kidding, think twice. I'm not. I have four bookshelves of books, piles on the floor not to mention a room that is literally stacked wall to wall with boxes of books. I kid you not. I'm not lacking on books to read. I don't think I'm limited. I'm surrounded by books. Good language is a plus for me.