spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Clearing things up...


Words mean things. As a Christian I think we can express our dislike for things without using curse words. I don't use them, I don't like to hear them and I don't like reading them.

I have had authors PM and ask me about curse words that I've caught in their books. I generally give three strikes and your out. I generally let the first two curse words in the book slid without saying anything about it in my review. However, if there are three or more I will let my readers know. If it is too bad, I will quit reading the book. I have had two books that I know of in my 2+ years of reviewing books that I haven't gotten too far into the book because of all the curse words. sorry this is just my view. I don't need to fill my mind with this.

So I'm going to put my position on words that I consider as curse words here in this post. If I find them in a book I'll put a link to this post up.

Here are words I consider curse words because they are used when someone is upset or angry.

  • darn
  • damn
  • dang
  • heck
  • any words taking my Lord and Saviors name in vain
  • gosh
  • golly
  • geesh
  • gee
  • crap
  • shit
  • anything vulgar I won't even put it in print these are just the mild words I won't print the hard ones (or the ones I think are hard) I'm sure you get the jest

These are a few. I'll add to this list as I read words and come across them.

Thanks for your understanding.



books

3 comments:

tweezle said...

Excellent post. I'm thrilled to see someone stand up for what they believe in. My hat's off to you :)

apple blossom said...

Thanks.

Carole said...

You are exactly right, Abi, and I appreciate your post. It's easy to let things slide until we reach the point where they don't seem all that bad anymore. Excellent thoughts!