spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jake the Snake and the Stupid Time -Out Chair by Shelly Faith Nicholson

Synopsis
Jake the Snake is a rambunctious kindergartner who is always getting into mischief! And when that happens, he is sent to the "stupid time-out chair." Jake the Snake is scared Santa Claus is watching and will bring a stupid lump of coal for Christmas 'cause Christmas isn't far away! When Jake the Snake drowns his brother's pet lizard in chocolate sauce, he is really afraid. But things only get worse when Jake the Snake goes to the mall to visit Santa and barfs in the mall elf's hat! Will Jake the Snake get a stupid lump of coal for Christmas? Or will Santa forgive him for all the naughty things he's done all year?





What I liked about this book: I could relate with Jake's mom as I too am scared of mice.

What I didn't like: I didn't like that the word 'stupid' was used so much. I felt it was down grading Jake. Though he is a fictional character, I guess I grew up with the word 'stupid' being a very no no word. The time out chair is stupid, Johnny, Jake's older brother, calls him Stupid kid, Jake calls a girls doll stupid, refers to a stupid lump of cool, and stupid piece of paper. I wasn't real impressed, but you may like the book.


books

No comments: