spring_greetings photo springgreetings.gif

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

A Boy called Duct Tape by Christopher Cloud

Pablo Perez is a 12-year-old poor kid without much going for him. His classmates have dubbed him “Duct Tape” because his tattered discount-store sneakers are held together with…you guessed it, duct tape. He can’t escape the bullying.

Pablo’s luck, however, changes after he finds a $20 gold coin while swimming in a river near his home. Pablo later buys a $1 treasure map at the county fair. The map shows the route to the “lost treasure” of Jesse James. Pablo can’t help but wonder: Is there a link between the map and the gold coin? He is determined to find out, and he, his 9-year-old sister and 13-year-old cousin hire an ill-natured cave guide, and begin a treacherous underground adventure in search of treasure.

Purchase at Amazon.
I haven't gotten too far into this book only on Chapter 7 as I've been studying for a major test that I have tomorrow morning.  However, it does seem that this book is going to be a very good adventure for 3-7 grade level kids, maybe higher, older ones may enjoy the adventure.  I have enjoyed what I've read of the book so far.  I'm sorry that I haven't had the time to finish it before this post was due, as it is I'm late getting this post posted.  However, I'm into chapter 7 and have caught some curse words (see my post concerning this here).  Haven't been hard words, but my view is after three I must tell my readers and we are a little past three and into chapter 7.  If you want another opinion on the matter you may visit Vicki Vaughn's review here. I have enjoyed what I've read so far and just wished I'd have had a little more time to have gotten into the book.  I'm not saying the book wasn't interesting because it really has me intrigued and I feel that it would be a wonderful adventure if I had just had a few more days to get into it especially after reading Vicki's review.  It seems like a book with lots of adventure. 




Christopher Cloud admits he came to literature late in life. “I was in my 60s before I developed a real interest in writing fiction,” he said. A Boy Called Duct Tape is Cloud’s debut middle-grade novel. It is a first-person account of three Latino children searching for the “lost treasure” of Jesse James.

Cloud began writing children’s fiction after a long career in journalism and public relations. He graduated from the University of Missouri in 1967 with a degree in journalism. He has worked as a reporter, editor, and columnist for newspapers in Texas, California, and Missouri. His work has appeared in many national publications, including Time Magazine.

He was employed by Sun Oil Company, Philadelphia, as a public relations executive, and later operated his own PR agency. He created the board game Sixth Sense in 2002. The game sold at independent bookstores nationwide.

Cloud said his next project is a young-adult novel. “I have written the first draft of a story I’m calling 16 And In Love,” Cloud said. “This story—like A Boy Called Duct Tape—is multicultural.”

Cloud lives in Joplin, Missouri.

Don't forget to check out the month long giveaways here.....


A digital copy of this book was provided for  this review by Pump up your Book tours










books

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Thank you for your honesty in your review and linking to Vicki Vaughn's review. When, you finish the book I would like to hear the rest of your review. Thanks again.